Boks and Chops

Aaah South Africa. The land of the distinct accents. Where one doesn't just speak English, No no no, one is identified by the way you speak we pronounce the words. I could say words like: wif, eish, tjips and you would know straight away where I was from.

Today I miss home. Not because I don't love it here (I REALLY LOVE IT HERE!!!) but I just want to walk in shorts, wif flops on and braai a chop, and hear a voice saying howzit my china its good that you are home.

It's weird how today this has been sparked off. I have not felt like this at all since I have been here. I think to some extent the fact that I am surrounded by good people who love me very much. There are friends you speak to and there are friends you share your life with. I have been lucky that I have many life sharing friends. Today I miss them

So today I miss my chops, boks, koeksisters, padkos. I miss my accents, laughs, and heckling. I miss the way that no language is sacred and all languages are shared. I miss that despite the huge issues we face as a country we can still laugh at each other. But most of all I miss my friends who have all become my family. This blog post is for you and I am sure when you read this you will know who you are!




Attached are some photos from my trip to Murrayfield to watch the Boks.  I heard the sweet sound of the many South African accents in the streets of Edinburgh. There has been many sayings but I think today this holds true for me: "You can take the person out of Africa but you will never take Africa out of the person"

Comments

Popular Posts