Reflections

Recently I watched a video with Bear Grylls and Stephen Fry talking about faith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C_3TdQolVRA). Let me just say that I am a big fan of Stephen Fry whilst Bear Grylls (mmmmm) not so much.

However, in this video they both deserve to be praised for their honesty about where they find themselves on their faith journey (Yes atheists have faith). It is a beautiful scenery of acceptance. 
In this one section Stephen Fry says the following:
"... but to me because we have history you have all your dead ancestors alive in your mind. I have my beloved grandfather alive in my mind and I don’t need to die to be with him. I suppose there is a danger of getting very portentous when you are on a vast landscape like this, because it does make you think all the imponderable questions come tumbling into your mind, didn’t they."
Deeply embedded in the Black South African world view is the idea of ancestors. It is a beautiful narrative which symbolises that not even death can separate the relationships that are built during our earthly existence. Love transcends death which oddly sounds allot like Jesus?.

Being Westernised White I am told that science is the only real logic. Faith should in all cases be a noun. It is  observable however, this African logic says to me that there is more. That we reflect the type of people we are in this life even when we are no longer here. What is our footprints? I am a firm believer that we might not be remembered in a couple of generations but our actions today reverberate for eternity. Love never stops showing itself. I am a product of both good and bad lives that existed before I was born...

I was reminded this week of a person who lived a good life (Barry Marshall)... His reflection still reverberates deeply in my life. Although I might not have been a good friend of this person, just the memory builds a swell of good emotion.  I hope that one day I might do the same for someone else. 

Comments

Popular Posts