Inverleith St Serf's

This week is my last week working for Inverleith St Serf's. It has been an absolute blessing being part of this community. They have been so graceful and affirming as I have shared what I feel God is doing amongst us.

I had something planned for the blog post this morning and then an email popped in my inbox. It sums up the journey that we all go on as ministers. It is written by Henri Nouwen entitled "Bringing the Spirit Through Leaving"


It is often in our absence that the Spirit of God manifests itself. When Jesus left his disciples he said: "It is for your own good that I am going, because unless I go, the Paraclete [the Spirit] will not come to you. However, when the Spirit of truth comes he will lead you to the complete truth" (John 16: 7;13). It was only in Jesus' absence that his friends discovered the full meaning of his presence. It was only in his absence that they completely understood his words and experienced full communion with him; and it was only in his absence that they could gather in a community of faith, hope, and love.

When we claim for ourselves that we come to our friends in the Name of Jesus - that through us Jesus becomes present to them - we can trust that our leaving will also bring them the Spirit of Jesus. Thus, not only our presence but also our absence becomes a gift to others.


Comments

Popular Posts