Fear or Art...

About two weeks ago, I had the dubious task of going to buy something at Princes Street on a Saturday morning. Now I am not sure what is hell, but I am pretty sure it looks like a shopping center on a Saturday. 
As I was walking through the many people who seem to think a sidewalk should be called a sidestill, I heard the bellow of a distorted speaker. As I drew near, a man was shouting "Evolution cannot be true because there is a God". He thumped his bible as he repeated this. 

Make no mistake friends, this guy was on his box and he was going for it. He was not lost, but had planted himself outside a shop and decided this would be a good place to yell. He somehow believed in the midst of all his rhetoric he was in fact speaking for God (which is a conundrum because sometimes I think I do that too). 

His little speaker struggled to keep up with him as he shouted "REPENT""REPENT". The whole world seemed to pass him by not even acknowledging his existence. Except for the wince as they walked past this yelling due to its terrible speaker. I could not help myself smiling. Does this person really think standing on a soapbox (actually it was plastic steps), screaming and shouting abuse at people, would ever get them to stop and go... "You know, I should follow this Jesus guy. I don't like the sound of a hot summer in hell". 

I think this type of preacher makes me run from Jesus not towards him. If that is what God is like, well then he can keep his heaven. I will just enjoy toasting marshmallows with all my fellow evolutionists. 

As I walked down the road, there was a small section of people gathered in a huddle. They were clapping, moving, and cheering. What could this be... Surely this must be the most unholy thing? People don't seem to gather for Jesus (ask the preacher). To my amazement there was this amazing saxophonist playing the most captivating melodies. It made you stop and admire. People were buying this person's CD. They wanted to hear more! They were transfixed by the beauty of what this person was doing. They connected. 

I have been mulling over this story now for two weeks. I think it has resonated with me because I think art is different to fear. On two sides of the street you had two different approaches. Both people wanted to be heard and yet they had different approaches. 

The saxophonist I think teaches us a valuable lesson. Beauty/art invites people in. It allows people to be captivated and ask for more. It stops people and connects. It engages the emotion and breaks down the barriers. Art is a communal experience. 

The question for me as I move to a ministry is whether I will create fear or art. Am I going to allow people to experience the beauty or am I going to coerce them with fear. I know which one I find more inspiring. Which one I want to stop and listen to. I know I find compelling. 

The question for me, how do we make faith more arty?

Comments

Popular Posts