Open Doors

Saturday was Open Doors at Edinburgh. It is a wonderful initiative to get people into the museums and attractions of Edinburgh for free. I spent the day walking down the Royal Mile, looking at many museums and projects of the City. It really was a lovely day.

As I was taking tthe 27 Bus towards the mound, the bus came to a stop and the bus driver came over the sound system (I am grateful for my Scottish friends in South Africa. If not for them I would have had no clue what he was saying). "Ladies and Gentleman the route we take to the mound is closed today as there is a march".

So as I walked the two mile journey and the hill seemed to be steeper than I have ever remembered. The street (which is a mile) was brimming with people from all over the world and as you can imagine the vibe was out of this world. In the distance I saw the famous kilts. Every where you looked people were dressed in their tartans and waving their flags. It was the Scottish independence march.

What struck me is the patriotism of these people. Fighting for what they believed in (You could even here Mel Gibson screaming "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM").

It made me think of South Africa. What identifies us? What is our heritage? I know Monday in South Africa was a long weekend and people put some vleis on the coals and celebrated their heritage. Is our countries heritage "Braaing"?

The strange thing about the march in Scotland is that although it stood against English rule, it also was a celebration of what it meant to be Scottish. When South African's stand against something are we also celebrating our identity in the process. When the Marikana mine tragedy happened was that a reflection on the identity of South Africans?

The thing about heritage is that it is inbred into you. It is part of your character and identity. Heritage however, is not a sacred cow rather, it need to be evaluated and exposed for its flaws and failings. It's is not only when we meet as a group of people but also when we engage in conversation with individuals

Comments

Popular Posts