The Gift of the Reset Button

I am constantly challenging my understanding of the word sin. Sin for me is not about making us feel bad - which is how it has been often portrayed - but about change. To recognise that we are moving in a damaging direction and we need to recalibrate our destination.

The great sin for me, is not the mistake rather, the great sin is continuing on the damaging way because we are too scared to change it. The reason that we are scared of changing these things might be numerous but, I just want to highlight a few.

First, it is a loss of power. We need to continue on the path that we are on because we need to show that we are strong. We don't make mistakes.
Second, it could be embarrassment. We are to scared what others might say. Third, we are unaware we on a destructive path before it's too late.

Yesterday, I was preaching in church on Hosea. Now it is not the easiest passage in the Bible and it didn't help that my iPad went on the blink half way through but, I got to a section and I made a huge mistake. I had lost my place, and to be frank I was speaking a lot of rubbish. I realised half way through I had made this mistake and so I had two choices; Either continue and pretend I was in control or, I could stop and start again.

I chose the later...

Now I don't use this story to sound pious but rather as an analogy. Often in life I think it would be far better to just stop and say "I need to hit the reset button" and start again. It's hard to hit a reset button because I have found denial to be an easy servant. It allows the ego to stay inflated and in so doing allows vulnerability to be kept at bay. The problem with this is that it can leave us constantly out of touch with reality and that I do not think is central to the message of Jesus.

If anything Jesus wants us to engage with reality in a more active way. To push the reset button on our lives and say things do not have to be this way. Is this not the gift to be found in repentance? Repentance and forgiveness is God's big reset button.

So was it the best sermon I ever gave? Probably not but, I am learning that God is molding me and it's ok to make mistakes. The question is whether I have the humility to push the reset button or the arrogance to think I will muscle through?

Comments

Popular Posts