Question Time???

I went away a week ago to Soul Survivor. Ten years ago this style of worship would have hit all the buttons and would have connected me to God. However, I went and realised that I had out grown this type of worship. I prefer finding God in the silence.

At this event, I represented the Church of Scotland's vocations. I really didn't want to go but I thought it would be interesting to see what was happening. So with reluctance I went and I absolutely loved it.

I didn't love it because of the worship. I loved it because of the conversations we had. A friend and I manned the vocations stall and set it up so that we could ask people simple questions. We asked questions about passion, fear, dreams,anger and calling. Not a day went by that we didn't have conversations about these topics, that didn't leave me inspired.

It's really challenged the way I do things. I think part of being a good leader is allowing people the space to ask questions and also to facilitate their formulation of questions. In other words helping them to get to the questions that will give them life.

I think that is what Jesus did so well. He never answered the questions clearly but left them with questions.

Soul Survivor for me was not about the worship, and thats ok. It was not designed to be a place where I would be fed but without me knowing it provided an encounter with the divine that I am still unpacking and will be for sometime.

These boxes that I am unpacking, can only be reached with questions. So it's the full cycle within myself that I also have to acknowledge. 

Comments

Popular Posts